- Diploma for completion of 1 year Higher Diploma Program (HDP): a license as a certified professional teacher educator; Debub University, Dilla College of teacher education, Sept. 2003 - June 2004.
- Ph.D. in Ecotoxicology, Zhejiang University, Peoples Republic of China., Sept. 1996 - June 1999.
- M. Sc. in Biology, Faculty of Natural Science, School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University, Sept. 1990 - June 1992.
- B.Sc. in Biology, Faculty of Natural Science, Addis Ababa University, Sept. 1979 - June 1982.
III. WORK EXPERIENCE
- Ecotoxicology and Aquatic science team leader in the department of Biology, Hawassa University, since March 2015.
- Associate professor in the department of Biology, Hawassa University, conducting research, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses, and thesis research advisor, since August 2010.
- Associate professor in the department of Biology, Hawassa college of Teacher Education, November 2009 –July 2010
- Associate professor in the faculty of agriculture and rural development, department of Natural resource Management, Wolaita Sodo University, conducting research, thesis research advisor & teaching postgraduate courses, August 2006 – October 2009
- Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research, Wolaita Sodo University, August 2006 – December 2008.
- Dean, Awassa College of Teacher Education, March 2003 - Feb. 2006.
- Assistant professor in the department of Biology Awassa college of Teacher Education, May 2000 - Feb. 2006.
- Head, Clinical Chemistry and Immunology Research Team at Southern Nations, Nationalities and people Regional Health Bureau (SNNPRHB), Center for Health Research and Laboratory (CHRL), June 1999 - April 2000.
- Head, Parasitology and Entomology Research Team at SNNPRHB, CHRL, January - June 1999.
- Health Research senior expert at SNNPRHB, CHRL,, 1995
- Head, Awassa based Health Research (Bacteriology) Laboratory, 1993 - 1994.
- Secondary (high) school Biology teacher for 11 years, 1982 - 1992.
In addition, participated in different research works and provided research project consultancy service to SNNPR Bureau of Labor and Social Affairs (a UNICEF funded project), Ethiopian Rift Valley Lakes Basin Authority.
- PUBLICATION AND PAPERS
- Sina Temesgen Tolera, Solomon Sorsa Sota, Ermias Derebie, Tesfaye Hambisa Mekonnen. (2019). Waste Generation and Physicochemical Qualities of Abattoir Wastewater in Hawassa City, Southern Ethiopia. East African Journal of Health and Biomedical Sciences 3 (1): 13-20.
- Solomon Sorsa. (20018). Current Solid Waste Management Practices and Problems in Woliata Sodo Town, Southern Ethiopia. Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management; 22 (7): 1097–1104.
- Firew Tesfaye, Daniel Fitamo and Solomon Sorsa. (2018). Performance Assessment of Wastewater Treatment Plant of Hawassa St. George Brewery, Hawassa, Ethiopia. Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management. 22 (8): 1285–1292.
- Negash Aliyi, Solomon Sorsa Sota and Ermias Deribe. (2018). Pesticide Usage and Safety Measures Awareness of Small Scale Farmers in Gera District, Jimma Zone, Western Ethiopia, Ethiopia Journal of Applied Science Technology, 9 (1): 19-30.
- Solomon Ergete, Solomon Sorsa, Eskindir Loha and Solomon Asnake. (2018). Trend of malaria cases in Hana and Keyafer Health Centers, South Omo Zone, Southern Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Science; 28(3): 277 - 286.
- Sindibu Temesgen, Solomon Sorsa and Ermias Deribe. (2018). Biogas and Bio-fertilizer Production Potential of Abattoir Waste as Means of Sustainable Waste Management Option in Hawassa City, Southern Ethiopia. Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management. 22 (4): 553 – 559.
- Endrias Goa and Solomon Sorsa. (2017). Generation rate and physical composition of solid waste in Woliata Sodo town, Southern Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management; 10(3): 415 – 426.
- Solomon Sorsa, Anduale Gezahagn and Elias Dadebo. (2016). Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in two morphotypes of African large barb, Labeobarbus intermedius (Osteichthyes: Cyprinidae), in Lake Hawassa, Ethiopia; African Journal of Aquatic Science, 41(4): 427-434.
- Daniel Fitamo, Tsegaye Lodisso, Solomon Sorsa, Ermias Deribe, Bekele Lemma, Gurja Belay, Sisay Tadesse. (2016). Heavy Metal and Metalloid Uptake in Forage Plants Grown on Waste Water Contaminated Vertisol and Fluvisol in Akaki, Ethiopia: A Field Experiment. International Journal of Ecosystems and Ecology Sciences; 6 (1): 7-18.
- Elias Dadebo, Alamrew Eyayu, Solomon Sorsa and Girma Tilahun. (2015). Food and Feeding Habits of the Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio 1758) (Pisces: Cyprinidae) in Lake Koka, Ethiopia. Momona Ethiopian Journal of Science; 7(1):16-31.
- Solomon Sorsa, Yadessa Chibssa, Girma Tilahun and Daniel Fitamo. (2015). Heavy Metal Concentrations and Physicochemical Characteristics of Effluent along the Discharge Route from Hawassa Textile Factory, Ethiopia. Environmental and Analytical Toxicology; 5 (4): 1-7.
- Elias Dadebo, Negesse Kebtineh, Solomon Sorsa, and Kassaye Balkew. (2014). Food and feeding habits of the red-belly tilapia (Tilapia zillii, Gervais, 1848) (Pisces: Cichlidae) in Lake Ziway, Ethiopia. Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 3(1): 17-23
- Girma Tilahun, Ermias Derribe, Solomon Sorsa and Zinabu Gebreariam. (2014). Identifying Cost Effective Mitigation measures to Bring Down Concentrations of Pollutants that Enter Lake Hawassa. A Study report in booklet, SOS-Sahel – Ethiopia.
- Solomon Sorsa. (2013). Health problems of children with disabilities with special reference to HIV/AIDS in Southern Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal Health Development; 27(2): 94-103.
- Elias Dadebo1, Adem Mohammed and Solomon Sorsa. (2013). Food and Feeding Habits of the Straightfin Barb, Barbus paludinosus, (Peters, 1852) (Pisces: Cyprinidae) in Lake Ziway, Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Biological Sciences; 12(2): 135-150.
- Solomon Sorsa and Alemu Abera. (2006). A Study on child labor in three major towns of southern Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Development; 20(3):184 - 193.
- Solomon Sorsa. (2003). Acute Toxicity and Effect of Fenitrothion on Liver Esterase of Fish. SINET: Ethiopian Journal of Science, 26(1):23–29,
- Solomon Sorsa, Tesfaye Kidanemariam and Lopiso Erosie. (2002). Health problems of street children and women in Awassa, Southern Ethiopia, Ethiopian Journal of Health Development, 16(2): 129-137.
- Lopiso Erosie, Yared Merid, Ayele Ashiko, Mohammed Ayine, Ashenafi Balihu, Sultan Muzeyin, Shiferaw Teklemariam1 and Solomon Sorsa. (2002). Prevalence of hookworm infection and hemoglobin status among rural elementary school children in southern Ethiopia, Ethiopian Journal of Health Development; 16(1): 113-115.
- Solomon Sorsa, Fan Defang and Li Shaonan. (2000). In vivo inhibition and recovery of brain acetylcholinestrase in topmouth gudgeon (parva) following exposure to fenitrothion, Journal of Zhejiang University (Science), 1 (4): 448-455.
- Shiferaw Teklemariam, Belaye Roma, Solomon Sorsa, Solomon Worku and Lopiso Erosie. (2000). Assessment of sanitary and hygienic status of catering establishments of Awassa town, Ethiopian Journal of Health Development; 14 (1): 91- 98.
- Solomon Sorsa, Fan Defang and Li Shaonan. (1999). Hepatic glutathione S-transferase activity in mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) and topmouth gudgeon (parva) exposed to fenitrothion, Journal of Zhejiang University (Science), 1 (2): 190-195.
- Solomon Sorsa, Fan Defang and Li Shaonan. (1999). Brain acetylcholinesterase response and recovery in mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) exposed to fenitrothion, Chinese Journal of Pesticide Science, 1(2): 61-72
- Solomon Sorsa. (1999). Comparative toxicity and sub-lethal effects of fenitrothion on some biochemical parameters of selected fish species, Ph.D. thesis, Zhejiang University, May 1999.
- Solomon Sorsa. (1999). In vitro evaluation of the activity of some Ethiopian traditional medicinal plant extracts against Plasmodium falciparum, M.Sc. thesis, Addis Ababa University, June 1992.
Address: Hawassa University, SNNPR, Ethiopia
P.O.Box: 493, Hawassa
Telephone: 0916-828248 (Mobile phone)